Join Letizia Mattiacci, Heather Carlson & Barbara D’Agapiti in Umbria to celebrate the olive harvest and experience the wine, gastronomy, and culture of Umbria.
This gourmet getaway is an intimate insider experience. We will be staying at Agriturismo B&B and Cooking school Alla Madonna del Piatto which is owned & managed by Letizia’s family and located on a magical mountain near medieval Assisi and its world-famous Basilica of Saint Francis.
We will spend our days exploring ancient hill towns, olive groves & vineyards. The extraordinary highlight of this trip will be celebrating the Olive Harvest. We will visit a working olive mill, tasting the “Olio Nuovo” (new oil) just moments after the olives have been pressed and learn about the nuances of its flavor. We will also attend the local Olive Oil Festival and have a picnic feast in an olive grove.
Alla Madonna del Piatto Cooking School is listed by National Geographic among 500 places to eat around the globe, and has also been recently written about in the New York Times. Letizia will open her kitchen to you and teach you how to make fresh pasta, farro, crostata as well as other traditional autumn recipes from the region.
There will be time for visiting local sights like medieval Assisi, Perugia, Foligno & Deruta, home to Italy’s greatest ceramic artisans. Each day will be filled with new discoveries and plenty of time for relaxation, friendship & of course enjoying the food and wine of Umbria.
Olive Harvest Trip Details
- 5 Days | 4 Nights, October 2017
- The tour is based at Agriturismo B&B and Cooking school Alla Madonna del Piatto in the hills above Assisi.
- Tour Leaders: Letizia, Heather & Barbara will share their passion for Umbria and take you to small artisan workshops, olive mills, wineries and their favorite restaurants.
- Maximum group size is 8. This small group size guarantees an intimate and personal experience.
- This handcrafted culinary adventure is for anyone who would like to learn more about the food, wine and culture of Umbria and experience the magic of Umbria in Autumn.
Olive Harvest Trip Highlights:
- Welcome aperitif on the terrace & overview of our time together
- Guided wine tasting with local cheeses and cured meat
- Private, hands-on gourmet cooking class & 4 course lunch at Alla Madonna del Piatto Cooking School
- Visit an olive oil festival & olive mill, learn about the rich history & taste the Olio Nuovo (new oil)
- Olive Harvest Festival & lunch in an olive grove
- Private tours & tastings at small, family owned vineyards
- Private tour of Assisi, a Unesco World Heritage site, and birthplace of St. Francis.
- Visits to the local artisans & stunning medieval hill towns of the area
Costs + Conditions:
€ 1.595 per person based on double occupancy (with ensuite bathroom)
Included in the tour:
- 4 nights B&B accommodation at Agriturismo Alla Madonna del Piatto.
- Fluent English speaking guides.
- All meals (4 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 4 dinners are included and will take place at local restaurants or wineries.)
- All local taxes & gratuities.
- All activities including wine tasting, olive oil tasting, cooking class & any additional tours.
- Group pickup from a local train station train in an air-conditioned 8 person van.
- All transportation during the 4-night getaway, including return to train station.
- Private Facebook Group for registered guests only, to ask questions and connect with each other before & after the trip.
- Personalized travel support from Merry Feast Travels.
- Email support. Once you’ve registered, you might have a million questions. And we will be there every step of the way to help answer those and help you arrive calm & ready to relax and enjoy every moment.
*Airfare & travel expenses to Italy
*Transportation to and from meeting points
*Souvenirs & Spending money
*Maximum size of group: 8 people
*Minimum attendance for tour to run: 4 people
*Minimum age to participate: 18 yrs, unless booking entire tour for your personal group.
*Limited Single Occupancy Supplement (email for availability and cost)
*Itinerary subject to change. (If changes need to be made due to weather or circumstances beyond our control, alternate arrangements will be made and will be equally wonderful!)
*For currency exchange rates please visit – XE.COM